Edison’s star quarterback Griffin O’Connor completed 18 of 22 passes for three touchdowns as the Griffins won the annual “Battle for the Bell” 51-14 against rival Fountain Valley High on Friday night at LeBard Stadium at the Orange Coast College campus in Costa Mesa.
All of O’Connor’s scoring passes went to David Atencio and in addition to the QB’s 260 yards in the air, he ran for 40 yards and a fourth touchdown.
Fountain Valley stayed close early in the first half, and trailed by 35-14 at the intermission. Nick Welsh did most of the heavy lifting for the Barons, throwing for 296 yards and two touchdowns. He also ran for 65 yards.
Edison’s win gave the Chargers a 6-3 record overall, and 3-1 in the Sunset League. Fountain Valley went to 6-3 and 2-2.
Other Friday night football scores:
- Pacifica 21, Tustin 14: The Mariners rallied from a 14-7 deficit to defeat the Tillers at Monsoor Stadium. Rai Sagastume scored the winning touchdown on a 16-yard run with one minute to play. Ben Jefferson passed for one TD for the Mariners and ran for another. The victory lifted the M’s to 8-1 overall and 3-1 in league. Pacifica will close out the regular season next Friday with a road game at Valencia (4-0 and 6-3). A win could set up a three-way tie for the league title among the M’s, Tigers and Cypress.
GARDEN GROVE LEAGUE
- La Quinta 55, Bolsa Grande 0: The Aztecs locked up no worse than a second place finish in the GGL with the win. LQ is 8-1 overall and 3-1 in league. The Matadors went to 1-8 and 0-4.
GOLDEN WEST LEAGUE
- Santa Ana 21, Orange 15: The loss at Fred Kelly Stadium eliminated the Panthers from the GWL title race. The Saints are 8-1 overall and 4-0 in league, while Orange goes to 7-2 and 2-2.
- Ocean View 42, Loara 7: Snapping a three-game losing streak, the Seahawks swamped the Saxons, improving to 5-4 overall and 1-3 in league.
- Newport Harbor 52, Marina 35: In a bit of an upset, the visiting Sailors posted their first win of the season in this contest at Boswell Field. NH is now 1-8 overall and 1-3 in league. The Vikings are 3-6 and 0-4.
Categories: High school sports