Garden Grove

Lit candle causes $80,000 in fire damage

AN UNATTENDED lit candle was the cause of a fire that did $80,00 damage to a home in Garden Grove, early Friday (GGFD photo).

An unattended candle is the cause of an early morning fire that inflicted heavy damage on a home in Garden Grove.

According to Capt. Thanh Nguyen of the Garden Grove Fire Department, the blaze was reported at 2:35 a.m. in a single-family home in the 11700 block of Donna Lane.

All residents were evacuated and the fire was contained in about 20 minutes. Damage to the structure was estimated at $70,000 and $10,000 for contents.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental because a candle on a table for the Lunar New Year sparked the blaze. “We would like everyone to celebrate safely, and not leave lit candles unattended,” said Fire Chief Tom Schultz. Battery-powered candles are a safe alternative.

The Red Cross provided help to the six adults and two children displaced.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s