The Los Angeles Angels can be forgiven repeating the old World War II slogan: “Is this trip really necessary?”
On Saturday, the Halos were in Monterey, Mexico for a game with the Houston Astros. They probably wish they’d forgone the privilege of being international ambassadors after they lost 14-2.
The loss snapped a four-game winning streak and put the team record at 15-18 and dropped the Halos a game back of the AL West-leading Astros.
The Angels were outhit 14 to 8 and yielded four home runs to the Astros, who scored in every inning but the seventh and ninth.
On Sunday the Orange County team will try again with Matt Harvey (1-2) making the start.
CIF-SS spring sports results
It’s been a rough weekend for local teams in CIF-SS spring sports playoffs. In boys’ volleyball, Huntington Beach and Bolsa Grande suffered defeats.
In baseball Pacifica was defeated and in softball Orangewood Academy fell as well.
Here are results for local teams:
- Mira Costa defeated Huntington Beach 25-13, 25-22, 25-17 (Division 1)
- Murrieta Valley defeated Bolsa Grande 25-18, 25-18, 25-21 (Division 3)
- Ocean View defeated La Quinta 25-12, 25-13, 22-25, 25-19 (Division 5)
- Arcadia 6, Pacifica 2 (Division 2)
- Loara 3, El Rancho 2 (Division 4)
- Bishop Conaty-Lovetto 8, Orangewood 7 (Division 7).