A lot of interesting games this week in the area prep gridiron games. The contest that looks most appealing to us is Friday’s game at Newport Harbor High pitting Edison (4-2) against Corona del Mar (6-0). The Chargers and Sea Kings are two-thirds of the Sunset League’s elite, with Newport Harbor’s Sailors (6-0) the other member.
EHS has played a tough schedule and is led by QB Braedon Boyles, who has passed for 746 yards so far and eight touchdowns. He’s averaging 124.3 yards per game. Boyles is a pretty good runner, too, piling up 192 yards so far and two TDs.
As for the Sea Kings, they primarily rely on their air force. Senior Ethan Garbers has passed for 2140 yards and 30 touchdowns. He’s averaging 357.7 yards a game. Like Boyles, Garber is an able runner, having rushed for 138 yards.
His favorite targets are John Humphreys (770 receiving yards and 12 TDs) and Bradley Schlom (622 yards and eight touchdowns).
Here is this week’s lineup of local high school football games. All games are scheduled for 7 p.m. kickoffs. As always, the information here is current and accurate as far as we know, but dates, matchups, etc. are subject to change without notice, so check with the school before leaving for the stadium.
THURSDAY, OCT. 10
- La Quinta (2-4) at Los Amigos (2-4) at Bolsa Stadium (BGHS).
- Silver Valley (3-3) at Westminster (0-6) .
- Laguna Hills (4-2) at Garden Grove (3-3).
- Artesia (2-4) at Western (5-1).
- Katella (5-1) at Magnolia (4-2) at Glover Stadium.
FRIDAY, OCT. 11
- Edison (4-2) at Corona del Mar (6-0) at Newport Harbor High.
- Newport Harbor (6-0) at Huntington Beach (1-5).
- Loara (4-2) at Bolsa Grande (1-5).
- Rancho Alamitos (4-2) at Santiago (3-3) at Monsoor Stadium (GGHS).
- Mead (3-2) at Marina (5-1).
- Ocean View (4-2) at Cerritos (2-4).
- Orange (5-1) at Costa Mesa (2-4).
Friday (and Thursday) Night Lights
Here are some of the top performances last week for football teams in The Tribune’s coverage area.
- Jason Nguyen (Rancho Alamitos) rushed for 106 yards and a score in the Vaqueros’ 21-10 win over Loara.
- Braedon Boyles (Edison) passed for three touchdowns and ran for another in Edison’s 42-21 win over Los Alamitos.
- Isiah Del Toro (Western) threw for 227 yards and four TDs in the Pioneers’ 35-0 win over Garden Grove.
As it’s been for the full 2019 season, Edison High’s Chargers are on top of The Tribune’s High 5 football rankings this week. Close behind is Western, with a tie for third place between Marina and Orange. In a tie for fifth are Ocean View and Rancho Alamitos.
Edison received two of three first place votes. The ratings come from two Trib sports guys and the mathematical rankings from Maxprep.com.
Here are local teams ranked in CIF-SS polls as released on Tuesday afternoon.
- Division 3: Edison (seventh).
- Division 8: Pacifica (ninth).
- Division 10: Orange (seventh), Western (eighth),
- Division 11: Marina (second).
- Divisions 1 and 2: Huntington Beach (14th).
- Division 7: Garden Grove (fifth), Loara (eighth), Bolsa Grande (10th).
- Division 9: Santiago (third).
Boys water polo
- Divisions 1 and 2:Huntington Beach (fourth).
- Division 3: Edison (third).
- Division 4: Pacifica (eighth).
- Division 6: Western (10th), Garden Grove (received votes).
- Division 7: Magnolia, Westminster (received votes).
- Division 5: Western (received votes).
Prep Sport Spotlight is posted on Tuesdays during the local high school athletic year. Coaches, parents, students, etc. are encouraged to send results, stats, etc. to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Categories: High school sports