For the next few weeks, the high school sports scene is pretty much all about the playoffs. As we reported earlier, 11 local teams are involved in the CIF-SS football playoffs.
For a recap of that list, go to: https://orangecountytribune.com/2019/11/03/11-locals-advance-to-football-playoffs/
From a fan’s (or sportswriter’s standpoint), some of the matchups are more interesting than others. We like Pacifica (5-5) at Trabuco Hills (6-4) as a competitive contest. Huntington Beach (2-8) at Cypress (10-0), not so much.
Edison (7-3) vs. Heritage (7-3) also has some appeal. The Chargers would have to be favored, rated 48th in the state, but, hey, the Patriots are unbeaten at home and 145th in the state, which is better than some teams who have given EHS a tough game.
Here are final league standings and records for teams in our area, as reported to the CIF-SS.
- Big 4 League: Marina 3-0 (8-2), Segerstrom 2-1 (9-1), Garden Grove 1-2 (4-6), Westminster 0-3 (1-9).
- Empire League: Cypress 3-2 (10-0), Pacifica 3-2 (5-5), Tustin 3-2 (5-5), Valencia 3-2 (5-5), Kennedy 1-4 (5-5), Crean Lutheran 0-4 (3-6).
- Garden Grove League: Rancho Alamitos 4-1 (7-3), Loara 4-1 (8-2), Santiago 4-1 (6-4), La Quinta 2-3 (3-7), Bolsa Grande 0-5 (1-9).
- Orange League: Katella 5-0 (9-1), Santa Ana Valley 4-1 (8-2), Magnolia 3-2 (7-3), Anaheim 2-3 (4-6), Savanna 1-4 (2-8), Century 0-5 (0-10).
- Orange Coast League: Orange 5-0 (9-1). Santa Ana 4-1 (6-4), Calvary Chapel/Santa Ana 3-2 (8-2), Estancia 2-3 (3-7), Costa Mesa 1-4 (3-7), Saddleback 0-5 (1-9).
- Pac 4 League: Western 3-0 (9-1), Ocean View 2-1 (7-3), Laguna Beach 1-2 (5-5), Godinez 0-3 (1-9).
- Sunset League: Corona del Mar 5-0 (10-0), Edison 4-1 (7-3), Los Alamitos 3-2 (4-6), Newport Harbor 2-3 (7-3), Huntington Beach 1-4 (2-8), Fountain Valley 0-5 (3-7).
Argo girls tennis seeded atop Div. 3
Football, volleyball and water polo aren’t the only high school teams in playoff mode, now. Girls’ tennis first round matches are set to begin this week.
Garden Grove High’s squad (12-8) is top-seeded in Division 3; the Argonauts are the Golden West League co-champs. In Division 5, Western (13-5), the third place team from the GWL, is seeded second.
Here are first-round pairings for teams in The Tribune’s coverage area. Unless otherwise listed, matches are on Wednesday at 2 p.m. Wild card games are today (Tuesday).
- Division 1: Oaks Christian (5-8) at Huntington Beach (16-4).
- Division 3: Garden Grove (12-8) hosts winner of wild card Portola vs. Trabuco Hills, Pacifica (9-3) at Cerritos (15-2).
- Division 4: La Quinta (11-6) will host winner of wild card between Whittier and Fullerton, Magnolia (13-4) will host the winner of wild card between Bellflower and Millikan. In wild card Bolsa Grande (11-6) will host Lakewood (9-11). If the Matadors win, they will face Whitney (14-4).
- Division 5: Rancho Alamitos (9-8) is in wild card play against Santa Ana (8-9). If the Vaqueros win, they will face Yucca Valley (18-1). Also in wild card play is Western (13-5) against Katella (9-10). If the Pioneers win, they will face Notre Dame/Riverside (8-7).
Winter wondering land
It may be a bit summer-y warm now, but winter – at least winter sports are approaching. Here are pre-season CIF-SS polls and watch lists for winter sports. Basketball watch lists and polls will debut next week.
Boys soccer watchlist
- Division 1: Edison.
Girls soccer watchlist
- Division 2: Marina.
- Division 4: Ocean View.
- Division 5: Santiago.
Girls water polo watchlist
- Division 4: Edison.
- Division 5: Los Amigos.
- Division 6: Ocean View, Pacifica.
- Division 7: La Quinta, Orange, Rancho Alamitos.
Dual meet wrestling poll
- Division 8: Westminster (fifth), Western (eighth).
Prep Sport Spotlight is posted on Tuesday’s during the high school athletic year. The High 5 final football rankings will be posted on Wednesday.
Categories: High school sports