Most of the attention for high school sports this time of year goes to the boys’ and girls’ basketball teams as they begin play in the CIF-SS playoffs, but those aren’t the only prep teams battling for a winter title.
We reported the pairings for hoops squads from the communities of Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Stanton and Westminster over the weekend, and – as promised – here are the opening games in the boys’ soccer, girls’ soccer and girls’ water polo.
As always, times, places and pairings are subject to change without notice.
The only seeded local team is Loara (12-3-5), the Garden Grove League runner-up, which is second in Division 6. First round games are scheduled for Thursday, Feb. 13, with any needed wild card games on Tuesday, Feb.
Here are first round games.
- Division 1: Trabuco Hills at Edison, Mission Viejo at Pacifica.
- Division 4: La Canada at Westminster, Silverado at Ocean View.
- Division 5: Anaheim at Santiago.
- Division 6: In wild card play, Bolsa Grande is at El Rancho. If the Matadors win, they will visit Nogales in the first round.
- Division 7: Connelly at Loara.
No area teams are seeded, but there are quite a few local entries nevertheless. First round games start on Tuesday, Feb. 11, with wild card games set for Monday (today), Feb. 10. Most games will be at 3 p.m., but where there’s a lighted field available, a 5 p.m. start may be chosen.
Here are the first round matchups for local teams.
• Division 1: Mission Viejo at Edison.
• Division 2: Newport Harbor at Santiago, Fullerton at Huntington Beach.
• Division 3: Los Amigos at North/Torrance, Esperanza at Loara.
• Division 4: Garden Grove at Kennedy,
GIRLS’ WATER POLO
Marina (16-11) is seeded third in Division 6. Here are the first round games involving local teams. Most are scheduled for 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 12.
- Division 2: Huntington Beach at Mira Costa.
- Division 5: Los Amigos at Costa Mesa, Valencia/Placentia at Garden Grove.
- Division 6: Western at Canyon Springs, Marina at Paloma Valley, Pacifica at Estancia, Torrance at Loara.
- Division 7: St. Joseph at La Quinta.
Categories: High school sports