And the season keeps going on.
Orangewood Academy of Garden Grove is the sole area entry in the CIF SoCal girls’ basketball playoffs. After winning the CIF-SS Division 2-AA title on Saturday, the Spartans (26-6) advance to the next level of play on Tuesday night.
Orangewood will host Bonita Vista (21-9) of Chula Vista in Division 1 action. The Barons reached the semifinals in the San Diego Section’s Open Division, losing to La Jolla Country Day.
If they win on Tuesday, the Spartans advance to the second round on Thursday, visiting Cathedral Catholic (19-11) of San Diego, which also lost to LJCD. The regional semifinals are set for Saturday, March 7. Regional finals are scheduled for Tuesday, May 10 and the state title game in Sacramento, date undecided.
Orangewood is seeded eighth in the SoCal Tournament. The team is ranked by MaxPreps as 34th in the nation and 11th in California. Bonita is 268th across the U.S. and 42nd in the state. CCHS has a national ranking of 55 from MaxPreps, and 15th in the state.
Athletes March into the new month
As athletes, coaches and fans turn their attention to high school spring sports, here are the CIF Southern Section rankings this week for teams representing the cities of Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Stanton and Westminster.
- Division 1: Huntington Beach is fifth.
- Division 6: Garden Grove is fifth, Orange is sixth and Westminster received votes.
- Division 1: Pacifica is sixth and Marina is ninth.
- Division 2: Edison is fifth.
- Division 5: La Quinta is fourth.
- Division 7: Bolsa Grande is ninth.
- Division 2: Huntington Beach is fifth.
- Division 1: Edison is seventh.
Track and field
- Boys’ Division 1: Huntington Beach is 10th.
- Boys’ Division 2: Western is fifth.
Monday’s results from diamonds, fields
Here are scores from Monday’s action.
- Glendora 4, Edison 1.
- Magnolia 13, Orange 12.
Prep Sport Spotlight is posted weekly during the high school athletic season, usually on Tuesdays.
Categories: High school sports