The Walt Disney Company will be laying off 32,000 workers in the first half of the 2020-21 fiscal year, the firm announced Wednesday evening. Of that number, 28,000 will come from the parks division, according to USA Today.
The Anaheim-Garden Grove economy and civil finances are heavily dependent on the tourist trade that normally would fill hotels, shops and restaurants in those cities. Disneyland has been closed since March due to the coronavirus pandemic.
In addition to the Disneyland Resort (Disneyland Park and Disney’s California Adventure) in Orange County, the company also operates Walt Disney World in Florida and Disneyland spinoff parks in Paris, Tokyo and China (Shanghai and Hong Kong).
Disney posted a loss of almost $600 million for the fourth quarter.
News: Supreme Court blocks limits on worship
- The U.S. Supreme Court on Wednesday ruled 5-4 that certain of New York’s limits on attendance at churches and synagogues were violations of the First Amendment, according to the Associated Press. New Associate Justice Amy Coney Barrett joined the majority, Chief Justice John Roberts was joined by the three liberal justices
- Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top expert on infectious diseases today (Thursday) said that Americans needn’t feel uneasy about the safety of the quickly-developed coronavirus vaccines soon to be available. “People need to understand that the speed … is a reflection of the extraordinary exquisite – breathtaking in some respects – advances in science which are allowing us to do things in weeks to months that formerly took years.”
Weather: Cool turning into perfect
The West Orange County area should have cool weather tonight, with a low of 47 and gusty winds up to 30 miles an hour. Winds will calm on Friday with a daytime high of 72 with sunny skies. The overnight low will be 46 degrees. Saturday will warm up a bit to 75 (47 overnight) with lots of sun. Sunday? The same thing. Daytime temps in the coast area – Huntington Beach – will be in the mid-to-high 60s.
Sports: This week’s gridiron lineup
Here’s a look at what’s scheduled this week for area NFL and major college football teams.
- Colorado (2-0) vs. USC (3-0), Saturday at 12:30 p.m., ABC
- Arizona (0-2) vs. UCLA (1-2) Saturday at 5 p.m. Fox
- Los Angeles Chargers (3-7) vs. Buffalo Bills (7-3), Sunday at 10 a.m., CBS
- San Francisco (4-6) vs. Los Angeles Rams (7-3), Sunday at 1:05 p.m., Fox.
Categories: The Wider World