On the strength of yet another nail-biting victory, the Garden Grove High boys’ basketball team won the Golden West League title Tuesday night.
The Argonauts edged Westminster 41-39 to improve to 9-0 in league (17-7 overall).
That puts Grove 2.5 games ahead of second place Ocean View (6-2) with one game left to play.
In the Garden Grove League, Santiago clinched no worse than a tie for the title by defeating Rancho Alamitos 78-37. The Cavaliers are 8-1 in GGL play, one game ahead of Bolsa Grande (7-2). The Matadors kept pace in second with a 42-38 win over Loara.
Santiago and Bolsa will face off on Thursday in the final game of the regular season.
Edison’s 62-57 win over Newport Harbor kept the Chargers (5-0) one game ahead in the Wave League race over Los Alamitos (4-1), which defeated Laguna Beach 63-41.
The Griffins can get a share of the title if they can knock off the Bolts when they meet Thursday in the Edison gym.
After Marina and Fountain Valley each won, those teams are tied with 4-1 marks and will finish as co-champs is they each win their games on Thursday.
HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL SCORES
- Crean Lutheran 80, Pacifica 42
Garden Grove League
- La Quinta 56, Los Amigos 38
- Bolsa Grande 42, Loara 38
- Santiago 78, Rancho Alamitos 37
Golden West League
- Garden Grove 41, Westminster 39
- Ocean View 57, Katella 45
- Segerstrom 57, Godinez 50
- Marina 76, Huntington Beach 65
- Fountain Valley 70, Corona del Mar 61
- Edison 62, Newport Harbor 57
- Los Alamitos 63, Laguna Beach 41
- Western 70, Century 36
- Savanna 84, Magnolia 35
Categories: High school sports
Leave a Reply