The high school basketball season isn’t quite over as regional finals and state championships are still ahead, but the spring sports have begun and with them some powerful local teams have emerged.
In softball, Pacifica is 8-1 and winners of seven straight. The Mariners are ranked eighth in CIF-SS Division 8, 18th in the Southern Section overall, 24th in the state. It’s good that the M’s are strong, because they’re playing in the tough Empire League competing with strong Tustin (7-2) and Cypress (6-2-2) teams.
Other strong area teams look to be Marina (4-1), Garden Grove (7-4) and Huntington Beach (5-3).
In baseball, Pacifica also has some claim to being at or near the top. The M’s are 8-1, ranked eighth in Division 2, third in Southern Section Division II, 11th in the whole Southern Section and 15th in California.
Other strong hardball teams look to be Huntington Beach (4-2), Garden Grove (6-3) and Los Amigos (10-0).
Polls, polls and more polls
The CIF-SS has issued polls and rankings for spring sports and – as usual – area schools are well represented.
- Division 1: Huntington Beach is ranked seventh. Ocean View is unranked but has some votes.
- Division 2: Pacifica is eighth.
- Division 6: Garden Grove is eighth
- Division 7: Los Amigos is first
- Division 1: Pacifica is sixth; Huntington Beach is unranked but has some votes.
- Division 2: Marina is seventh
- Division 6: Garden Grove is ninth
- Divisions 1 and 2: Huntington Beach is seventh
- Division 4: Bolsa Grande is second
- Division 6: Magnolia is seventh
- Division 1: Marina is fourth
- Division 5: Westminster is seventh. Western is unranked but received some votes.
- Division 3: Marina is eighth
- Division 1: Edison is fourth.
“Prep Sport Spotlight” is posted on Tuesdays during the high school athletic year.
Categories: High school sports