A young Rancho Alamitos High School football team will open the 2023 season on Friday, Aug. 25 hosting La Sierra High of Riverside at 7 p.m.
Mike Enright’s Vaqueros had an 9-2 season, sharing a co-championship of the Garden Grove League with Los Amigos.
Rancho’s JV team was 3-6 last year, but Enright and coaching staff are emphasizing the importance of having the “will to win,” and a strong work ethic.
Top players returning are Jonathan Biggs, a 6-2, 180-lb senior tight end and offensive lineman; Luis Lopez, a 5-10, 180-lb junior inside linebacker; Emmanuel Tellez, a 5-10, 165-lb. junior wide receiver and corner back.
After the La Sierra game, here’s the rest of the Rancho schedule. League games are marked with an **.
• Thursday, Aug. 31, hosting Anaheim High at Bolsa Stadium, 7 p.m.
- Thursday, Sept. 7, visiting Savanna at 6:30 p.m.
- Thursday, Sept. 14, visiting Godinez Fundamental, 7 p.m.
- Friday, Sept. 22, visiting Corona High, 7 p.m.
- Thursday, Sept. 28, visiting Santiago, 6:30 p.m.**
- Thursday, October 5, vs. Los Amigos, 7 p.m. **
- Friday, Oct. 13, vs. Bolsa Grande, 7 p.m.**
- Friday, Oct. 20, hosting La Quinta, 7 p.m. **
- Thursday, Oct. 26, hosting Loara, 7 p.m.**
Oiler star drafted by the Guardians
Huntington Beach High star catcher Ralphy Velazquez was taken in the first round of the 2023 Major League Baseball draft by the Cleveland Guardians. He was drafted 23rd.
Velazquez his 23 home runs in his high school career for the Oilers, six of those in his senior year with a .402 batting average.
He’s 6-foot-2-inches tall and weighs 235 lbs. Velazquez has also committed to play for Arizona State in case he can’t make a contract deal with the Guards.
Categories: High school sports