The 40th “National Night Out” is coming to the West Orange County area on Tuesday, Aug. 1 from 5-8 p.m., with some area cities offering live demonstrations, giveaways and a chance to meet public safety personnel who serve the community.
For Garden Grove, the event will be held in front of the Garden Grove Police Department headquarters building, 11301 Acacia Parkway (at Euclid Street).
Event attendees can meet Garden Grove officers, crime prevention officers, and GGPD’s three support canines, as well as participate in contests and try on police gear. Other activities include public safety demonstrations by the K-9 unit and the Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) unit. Attendees will also learn about neighborhood watch programs and how to get involved with GGPD’s Community Liaison Division.
Parking will be available at the following locations:
• First Baptist Church, 12761 Euclid St.
• Purcell Building, 11277 Garden Grove Blvd.
• Garden Grove Community Meeting Center, 11300 Stanford Ave.
• Garden Grove High School, 11271 Stanford Ave.
• Healthy Aging Center Acacia, 11391 Acacia Parkway
• SteelCraft Garden Grove, 12900 S. Euclid St.
On Tuesday, Aug. 1, the following streets will be closed to traffic and “No Parking” will be enforced from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
• Civic Center Drive, from Acacia Parkway to Garden Grove Boulevard
• Acacia Parkway, from 7th Street to Garden Grove City Hall, at 11222 Acacia Parkway.
For more information call (714) 741-5760.
In Westminster, a similar event – “Safety Day” – is scheduled for Wednesday, July 19 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Sigler Park, 7200 Plaza St. The free event will feature the Westminster Police Department and the Orange County Fire Authority, which provides paramedic and fire protection services for the city.
There will be a SWAT team demonstration, an OCFA helicopter landing, a “Jaws of Life” extraction and more . For additional information, call (714) 895-2860.
Categories: Across the Area