Garden Grove

Two are burned when fumes are ignited

GARDEN GROVE fire truck (GGFD photo).

Two persons suffered significant burn injuries Monday afternoon in Garden Grove when fumes from cleaning products and gasoline ignited.

According to Capt. Thanh Nugent of the Garden Grove Fire Department, the incident took place shortly after 12 p.m. at a home in the area of Washington Avenue and Bushard Street.

Burned were two adults – a man and a woman – when vapors from the cleaning products and gasoline were ignited by the pilot light of a nearby stove.

The man suffered critical burns over most of his body, although the flames were extinguished before firefighters arrived. The fire did not spread to the building.

The woman sustained moderate burns to about 10 percent of her body. Both victims were treated by firefighter-paramedics and taken to a local burn center.

Assisting was the Fountain Valley Fire Department.

“Using flammable liquids near ignition sources should never be done,” said GGFD Chief Tom Schultz. He urges those using cleaning products to follow the use instructions on the product.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s