Garden Grove

Fire displaces seven, burns man

FIRE on True Way in Garden Grove early Sunday morning (GGFD photo).

A man is in critical condition Sunday from burns he suffered when his Garden Grove house caught fire.

According to Capt. Thanh Nguyen of the Garden Grove Fire Department, the incident took place in the 11000 block of True Way around 12:30 a.m. Fire was showing from the garage of a single family home; firefighters located the centers of the blaze in the garage and attic.

They were hampered by “excessive storage conditions” that included small propane bottles exploding. It took 25 firefighters from the GGFD and Anaheim about 20 minutes to get the fire under control.

The burned man was taken to the hospital, and then transferred to a burn center.

The fire was determined to be accidental and the use of a propane-fired heater or improper use of smoking material – or both – might be the cause of the blaze.

Damage was estimated to be $125,000. There was one non-working smoke alarm found in the house.

Seven adults were displaced and the Red Cross assisted in finding them shelter.

The GGFD urges people to use propane-fired heaters only in well-ventilated areas and not inside buildings. Also, used cigarettes should be safely disposed of, and working smoke alarms should be installed throughout the home.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s