Can you feel it? The change in the weather? The sweet spot between warm sunshine and cool breezes? See those buds appearing on trees?
Yes, this is the week that ushers in spring. If you have the feeling but not the timing down, don’t feel bad. Whether the season starts on Wednesday, March 20 or Thursday, March 21 depends on how you define it.
All very well, but what is vernal equinox? That’s when the sun crosses the celestial equator – described as “the imaginary line in the sky” – from south to north.
Now that we’ve cleared that up, here are some more down-to-earth news and events.
WEATHER: If you like clouds, you’re in luck. The week for West Orange County will include the fluffy stuff along with periods of sun. Today (Monday) is sunny, but “partly cloudy” conditions should exist through Sunday. However, there is a 10 to 20 percent chance of rain Tuesday through Saturday, consider that when washing your car or scheduling a picnic.
MEETINGS: Here’s a partial list of what’s on the civic agenda.
- Huntington Beach City Council meets on Monday at 6 p.m. Topping the agenda will be an update on lawsuits against illegal residential sober living businesses and approving acceptance of a $203,143 state grant for the prevention and prosecution of violence against women. The council meets at 2000 Main St.
- Garden Grove Planning Commission will meet at 7 p.m. and take up a final step toward reviving the “rusty skeleton” at 10080 Garden Grove Blvd. as a 394-unit affordable senior housing project with 12,938 square feet of ground floor commercial retail space. The planners meet at 11300 Stanford Ave.
- Garden Grove Unified School District Board of Education meets Tuesday at 7 p.m. at 10331 Stanford Ave., Garden Grove.
ENTERTAINMENT: Live on stage this week will be:
- “Disaster: The Musical” at the Gem Theater on Main Street in Garden Grove Friday through Sunday.
Major new releases in cinema this week will include:
- “Us,” a scary-thoughtful film about a family on vacation which is confronted by evil opposites. Rated R.
- “Shazam,” a movie about a boy who turns into a superhero when he says a certain word. This is a special preview on Saturday only. Rated PG-13.
SPORTS: Anaheim Ducks will host the Winnipeg Jets at Honda Center on Wednesday at 7 p.m. and the San Jose Sharks on Friday at 7 p.m.
Categories: Orange County