Now that the local high school football season is over, highlighted by Marina’s historic and gallant run to a CIF-SS title and a regional playoff berth, attention turns to boys’ and girls’ basketball.
December is a time for tournaments and non-league contests for what might be nautically termed as a “shakedown cruise.” The first CIF-SS hoops polls for the 2019-2020 season are out, and here is how local teams fared.
You’ll note that Pacifica and Orangewood are the only schools with teams ranked in both boys and girls polls.
- Pacifica is 12th.
Boys’ Division 4AA
- Orangewood Academy is sixth
Girls’ Division 2AA
- Orangewood is fourth
Girls’ Division 4A
- Pacifica is tied for 12th
Girls’ Division 5A
- Orange is ninth, Magnolia is tied for 11th with Los Amigos.
Winter is also for soccer and girls’ polo
Not all the sports of this season are played indoors. Here are CIF-SS polls for boys and girls soccer and girls water polo.
Boys’ soccer, Division 1
- Edison is second.
Boys’ soccer, Division 2
- Santiago is seventh.
Boys’ soccer, Division 3
- Orange is ninth.
Boys’ soccer, Division 4
- Bolsa Grade is ninth.
Girls’ soccer, Division 1
- Edison is ninth.
Girls’ soccer, Division 7
- Loara is second.
Girls’ water polo, Divisions 1 and 2
- Huntington Beach is 17th.
Girls’ water polo, Division 4
- Edison is third.
Girls’ water polo, Division 6
- Marina is sixth and Loara is seventh.
Girls’ water polo, Division 7
- La Quinta is third and Rancho Alamitos is sixth.
Who’s looking the best in local hoops?
The OC Tribune won’t be starting its High 5 rankings of area high school basketball teams until the first week in January, but a glance at the win-loss records so far – not including all of Monday games – might give us some hints as to who might be contending for league and eventual CIF-SS glory.
Here’s a rundown of the teams records for schools serving Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Stanton and Westminster.
- Empire League: Pacifica is 5-3 (fourth behind Valencia, Tustin and Kennedy).
- Garden Grove League: Santiago (5-3), Rancho Alamitos (3-5), Los Amigos (2-6), Loara (1-6), Bolsa Grande (1-7), La Quinta (1-8).
- Golden West League: Garden Grove (6-4), Godinez (3-3), Ocean View (5-5), Western (3-4), Westminster (1-6), Segerstom (1-8).
- Orange League: Magnolia (0-7) is fifth in the league. Century leads with a 5-4 record.
- Orange Coast League: Orange is 1-4, sixth in the league. Estancia is first with an 8-3 mark.
- San Joaquin League: Orangewood Academy is 8-1, behind Saddleback Valley Christian (3-0).
- Surf League: Edison is 4-2 (third behind Corona del Mar and Newport Harbor).
- Wave League: Marina is 5-5 and Huntington Beach is 3-7, both behind Laguna Beach and Fountain Valley.
- Empire League: Pacifica is 7-3, good for third behind Crean Lutheran and Tustin.
- Garden Grove League: Loara (3-1), Los Amigos (6-3), Santiago (5-4), Bolsa Grande (3-4), La Quinta (2-4), Rancho Alamitos (2-4).
- Golden West League: Ocean View (4-4), Garden Grove (4-4), Western (3-4), Godinez (3-5), Segerstrom (2-4), Westminster (2-4).
- Orange League: Magnolia is 5-4, third behind Anaheim and Katella.
- Orange Coast League: Orange is 2-4, tied for third with Costa Mesa behind Calvary Chapel/Santa Ana and Saddleback.
- San Joaquin League: Orangewood Academy is 6-3, third behind Fairmont Prep and Sage Hill.
- Surf League: Edison is 4-4, behind Corona del Mar and ahead of Huntington Beach (1-2) and Los Alamitos (1-6).
Next week we’ll be looking at the individual stat leaders.
Prep Sport Spotlight is posted on Tuesdays during the high school athletic season.
Categories: High school sports