Protest groups rallied in Anaheim on Monday, and property owners and business operators on Main Street in downtown Garden Grove were busy Monday evening boarding up windows in anticipation of possible violence from a rally scheduled at City Hall on Wednesday.
Here is the latest in what we have about the George Floyd protests in Orange County.
- In Anaheim, a citywide curfew has been declared from 6 p.m. Monday (today) through 5:30 a.m. Tuesday. Several protests took place in the city, including one in the City Hall/Civic Center and one at La Palma Park. Police declared an unlawful assembly in the downtown area at about 8 p.m. and worked to clear the streets. Some rubber bullets were fired and estimates of crowd sizes range upwards of 1,000 demonstrators. Police – including those from other cities responding to requests for mutual aid – set up a “skirmish line” at about 9 p.m. at State College Boulevard and Lincoln Avenue as protesters walked though the city.
- In Huntington Beach, the curfew imposed from Sunday night to Monday morning is no longer in place.
- In Garden Grove, a rally planned by a Black Lives Matter group has met with city and police officials in anticipation of Wednesday’s planned protest. It is set for a location in front of City Hall on Acacia Parkway near Euclid Street, but concerned property owners and business operators worked Monday evening to board up windows and doors on Main Street, one block away. “Better safe than sorry,” several merchants said. • A group from the Living Word Church in Garden Grove held a prayer event in front of police headquarters and walked to Main Street to show support for officers and businesspeople.
- In Santa Ana, no curfew is in place today.
- In Costa Mesa, a curfew went into effect at 7 p.m. and will be in place until Tuesday morning at 5:30 a.m. Five major streets are closed until “deemed safe to reopen. They are: Sunflower Avenue between Bear Street and Bristol Avenue; Bear between Sunflower and Paularino Avenue; Bristol Street between Sunflower and San Diego (405) Freeway, South Coast Drive between Bear Street and 405 offramp, Plaza Drive at Sunflower Avenue.
Categories: Across the Area