The game that could decide the Sunset League title will kick off Thursday night at Westminster High’s Bill Boswell Field. Edison’s Chargers, ranked seventh in Orange County, will face off against Los Alamitos, rated fifth.
Both teams have outstanding quarterbacks. The Griffins are led by Malachi Nelson, who was named to the MaxPreps.com pre-season all-state football first team offense. He’s bound for Oklahoma after he graduates. Nelson threw for four touchdowns in Los Al’s 42-14 win over Corona del Mar.
The Chargers have their own top field general is Parker Awad, who has thrown for 1,476 yards and 11 TDs with just one interception. The Green and Gold’s top rusher is Troy Fletcher with 435 yards gained and 12 touchdowns scored.
Another interesting Sunset matchup pits Huntington Beach (4-2) against Corona del Mar (5-1) on Friday. An interesting Garden Grove League contest will be Friday’s game between Los Amigos (3-3) and Bolsa Grande (3-3).
Here’s this week’s schedule of high school football games for The Tribune’s coverage area. (Overall records first; league record next). As always, games, opponents, days, dates, times are locations are subject to change without notice. Check with the school.
- Western (3-2, 1-0) at Anaheim (3-3, 1-0) at Glover Stadium
- Los Alamitos (5-1, 1-0) at Edison (4-2, 1-0) at Boswell Field (Westminster High)
- Pacifica (5-1, 0-1) at Valencia (1-4, 1-0)
Garden Grove League
- Santiago (5-1, 1-0) at Loara (2-4, 0-1) at Glover Stadium
- La Quinta (1-5, 0-1) at Rancho Alamitos (5-1, 1-0) at Monsoor Stadium (Garden Grove High)
- Los Amigos (3-3, 1-0) at Bolsa Grande (3-3, 0-1)
- Santa Ana Valley (2-4, 1-0) at Magnolia (2-4, 0-1) at Handel Stadium (Western High)
Orange Coast League
- Estancia (4-2, 1-0) at Orange (3-3, 1-0) at Fred Kelly Stadium (El Modena High)
- Huntington Beach (4-2, 1-0) at Corona del Mar (5-1, 0-1) at Newport Harbor High
- Artesia (0-5) at Westminster (5-1)
- Garden Grove (4-2) at Glenn (2-4)
- Temecula Prep (0-6) at Ocean View (1-5).
Top-ranked Edison faces a test
To no one’s surprise, Edison (4-2) remains on top of this week’s High Five after a big 50-14 win over Newport Harbor. But will the Chargers be number one in the Sunset League after they face Los Alamitos (5-1) Thursday night?
Huntington Beach (4-2) moved into second, passing Pacifica (5-1), which left the unbeaten ranks by losing to Tustin 45-14. The Oilers bested Fountain Valley 42-7. Orange (3-3) remains in fourth after crushing Costa Mesa 57-6 and Garden Grove in fifth after a 70-0 defeat of Godinez, a margin that might be a school record.
Unranked but deserving some mention are Rancho Alamitos, Santiago and Westminster.
They lit up Friday (and Thursday Night) Lights
From Week Six, some of the top performances by local football players.
- Parker Awad (Edison) threw three touchdown passes as the Chargers defeated Newport Harbor 50-14.
- Vany Rodriguez (Garden Grove) threw five touchdown passes in the Argonauts’ 70-0 win over Godinez.
- Zachary Siskowic and Jacob Garcia (Orange) combined for 10-for-10 passing for 347 yards and five TDs as the Panthers beat Costa Mesa 57-6.
- AJ Perez (Huntington Beach) passed for 193 yards and two scores in the Oilers’ 42-7 win over Fountain Valley.
- Samer Alqam (Bolsa Grande) threw for 100 yards and one TD in the Matadors’ 24-14 loss to Rancho Alamitos.
- Art Martinez and Daniel Padilla (Rancho Alamitos) combined for 206 yards rushing and three touchdowns as the Vaqueros beat Bolsa Grande 24-14.
- Darius Cowens (Pacifica) threw two touchdown passes as the Mariners lost 45-14 to Tustin.
And, according to the latest polls ….
Here are CIF-SS rankings for girls’ tennis, boys’ water polo, and girls’ volleyball involving local teams.
- Girls’ tennis: In Division 1, Huntington Beach is unranked, but received some votes. In Division 4, Garden Grove is fifth and La Quinta is unranked but received some votes. In Division 5, Loara is sixth and Ocean View is unranked but received some votes.
- Boys’ water polo: In Division 1, Huntington Beach is in a three-way tie for second with Harvard Westlake and Newport Harbor. In Division 4, Marina is in third. In Division 6, Westminster is second while Ocean View and La Quinta are tied for ninth.
- Girls’ volleyball: In Divisions 1 and 2, Huntington Beach is unranked but received some votes. In Division 6, Bolsa Grande is seventh and Garden Grove is unranked, but received some votes. In Division 8, Rancho Alamitos is unranked but received some votes.
“Prep Sport Spotlight” is posted on Tuesdays during the high school athletic year. Send scores, results, photos, etc. to us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Categories: High school sports