It’s spring and some of our spring sport teams – notably baseball and softball – are in tournament action and some are in league play.
There are certain crucial contests this week including a battle for first place in the Garden Grove League baseball chase. Los Amigos, ranked first in Division 7, will take on Loara today at 3:15 p.m.. The Lobos are 13-1 overall but 4-1 in GGL action. They’re tied for first in the league with the Saxons (5-4 overall and 4-1 in league).
In the Golden West League baseball race, Segerstrom is 5-9 overall but 2-0 in the GWL. The Jaguars will host Garden Grove (8-6), which is ranked 10th in Division 6. It’ll be the Argonauts first league contest.
Huntington Beach (8-4 overall) is off to an early start in Sunset Surf action, winning its first three league games. The Oilers can open a bigger lead today when they host Los Alamitos (7-5, 1-2).
As for Pacifica – which could field one heck of a co-ed team – the Mariners’ baseball and softball teams have not yet begun Empire League play, but are a combined 23-8 so far.
The M’s softball squad is clearly the class of that field; no other team has a winning record so far. The baseball race – the M’s are seventh in Division 2 – is more complicated with three teams (Pacifica, Cypress and Tustin) each in double figures for victories.
Some spring star turns
Outstanding performances by area athletes include…
- Matt Lopez (Huntington Beach) pitched the Oilers to a 3-1 win over Edison Friday in an Empire League baseball game. He struck out six batters and allowed just four hits.
- Brynne Nalley (Pacifica) struck out 10 batters and yielded just four hits as the Mariners defeated Marina 4-2 in a non-league softball game at the M’s field on March 16.
Soccer all-stars are honored
Four local athletes have been named to CIF-SS boys’ soccer all-star teams.
- Division 1: Daniel Kotkosky, a senior goaltender from Huntington Beach High, and Reid Fisher, a senior defender from Huntington Beach High.
- Division 3: Omar Martinez, a senior defender from Los Amigos, and Jesus Reyes, a senior defender from Santiago.
Who’s leading in the polls?
The latest polls from the CIF-SS show a bunch of local teams making some noise. Here’s the lineup of area squads ranked (or otherwise recognized).
- Division 1: Huntington Beach is unranked but received some votes.
- Division 2: Pacifica is seventh.
- Division 6: Garden Grove is 10th
- Division 7: Los Amigos is first
- Division 1: Pacifica is ninth. Huntington Beach is unranked but received some votes.
- Division 2: Marina is 10th
- Division 6: Garden Grove is fifth
- Division 1: Huntington Beach is 10th
- Division 4: Bolsa Grande is sixth
- Division 5: Pacifica is unranked but received some votes.
- Division 6: Magnolia is unranked but received some votes.
- Division 2: Marina is fourth
- Division 4: La Quinta is unranked but received some votes
- Division 5: Westminster is ninth. Western is unranked but received some votes.
- Divisions 1 and 2: Edison is eighth.
“Prep Sport Spotlight” is posted on Tuesday during the high school athletic year.
Categories: High school sports