Get ready to get slimed. But in a fun way.
On Thursday night the Garden Grove Planning Commission unanimously cleared the way for the construction of a 500-room Nickelodeon-themed hotel on Harbor Boulevard.
The panel approved developer Kam Sang’s request for approval of a planned unit development and site plan for a 3.72-acre site on the west side of Harbor immediately south of the existing Sheraton Hotel.
The proposed project would include:
- a themed pool experience with a “lazy river” and pool slide
- event space with a 600-seat theater
- 17,715 square feet of ballroom/meeting space
- 22,296 square feet of hotel restaurant
- 5,480 square feet of retail
- themed amenities totaling 13,238 square feet
- a 7,000 square foot arcade
- a spa and fitness center of 8,532 square feet
- a five-level parking structure with 528 parking spaces.
Nickelodeon was the first pay television channel for children. Established in 1979, it’s branched out to a wider audience with five “sister channels” and now also operates several theme park operations in the U.S. and Europe.
It’s home to the popular “Spongebob” animated TV show also produced live for the stage and motion pictures. For those who are unfamiliar with Nickelodeon, getting “slimed” involves getting a green semi-liquid substance dumped on your head, either to celebrate or humble the slime-ee.
Categories: Garden Grove