Will March go out like a lamb? We’re not sure, but April will start on Saturday with one major event locally. Here’s our look at what’s happening this week in the Garden Grove-Huntington Beach-Westminster area.
WEATHER: A little cloudy on Monday, then sunny although the weekend. That’s what the National Weather Service is predicting for the area. Highs in the high 70s and lows in the low to mid 50s. Ought to be a nice week, meteorologically-speaking.
ENTERTAINMENT: If you’re an Alec Baldwin fan – either from his “SNL” skits or from his epic speech in “Glengarry Glen Ross – you might look forward to the opening this weekend of “The Boss Baby,” an animated tale about an exceptionally grown-up infant with a mission. Voices by Baldwin, Steve Buscemi, Lisa Kudrow, Tobey Maguire and Miles Christopher Bakshi. It’s rated PG-13.
Also opening in area cinemas this weekend are:
- “The Ghost in the Shell,” an action film starring Scarlett Johansson. PG-13.
- “The Zookeeper’s Wife,” a drama (based on real life) about a woman in Nazi-occupied Poland trying to save people hiding from persecution. Stars Jessica Chastain. Rated PG-13.
- “Donnie Darko,” about a teenager who receives a disturbing message: the world will end in 28 days. Starring Jake Gyllenhall, Drew Barrymore, Jena Malone. Rated R.
On stage, “The Laramie Project” continues at the Westminster Community Playhouse, with performances Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m.
At Golden West College in Huntington Beach, the Ballet Repertory Theatre will present the “Coppelia” at the Mainstage Theater. Performances are Saturday at 7 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m.
MEETINGS: The Garden Grove City Council will meet at 6:30 p.m. and tops on the agenda will be a $5.3 million project to build a new fire station in Westhaven Park.
• On Thursday the Orange County Transportation Authority will host an open house at the Community Meeting Center in Garden Grove on the topic of possible transit solutions for Harbor Boulevard. The event is from 5-7 p.m.
Streets will be given over to pedestrians, skaters and cyclists with a variety of activities, entertainment and more. It’s part of the “Re:Imagine Garden Grove” project to re-think the future of the city.
Involved will be West Street, Garden Grove Boulevard, Acacia Parkway and Main Street. For more information, go to: http://ggopenstreets.com .
QUOTES WE LIKE
- “Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.” – Eleanor Roosevelt.
- “Love is when the other person’s happiness is more important than your own.” – H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
- “It’s actually cool to be positive and optimistic and idealistic. It’s cool to see yourself doing beautiful, great things.” – Tom DeLonge.
Categories: Across the Area