Superman and Santa Claus are on the agenda for entertainment this weekend in the Garden Grove-Huntington Beach-Westminster area. Here’s a closer look at the fun to be had before the holiday rush takes over every single aspect of your life.
Movies: “Justice League” finally arrives
- “Justice League”: Batman (Ben Affleck) and Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot) start rounding up a team of super-heroes to combat an alien invasion. But will that be enough? “Look, up in the sky. It’s a bird! It’s a plane …” Rated PG-13.
- “Wonder”: A family with a child with a facial deformity struggles to find acceptance for their son. Starring Julia Roberts and Owen Wilson. Rated PG.
- “The Star”: A brave donkey and friends are the heroes of the first Christmas. An animated PG-rated film.
On Stage: Three good choices
Local theaters offer a broad variety of live dramas.
- “On Golden Pond” concludes this weekend at the Westminster Community Playhouse, with performances Friday through Sunday. Located at 7272 Maple St. For more information, go to: http://wcpstage.com .
- “Macbeth” finishes its two-week run with performances at the Golden West College Mainstage Theater Friday and Saturday at 7:30 p.m. and 2 p.m. on Sunday. For more, go to: http://www.gwctheater.com .
- “Dracula” continues at the Huntington Beach Playhouse with performances this weekend. Friday and Saturday shows at 8 p.m., Sunday at 2 p.m. Located at 8251 Heil Ave. Westminster. For more, go to: http://huntingtonbeachplayhouse.com .
Events: Santa really is coming to town
All those decorations at the mall and in the stores are not the only indications that the holiday season is really on us. Our cities are planning events to celebrate the merry season.
- “Miracle on Main Street” continues this year on the second block of downtown Huntington Beach with a tree-lighting event on Sunday from 2-6 p.m. There will be free hot cocoa and treats, princess party characters, the APA Surf City Singers, and the actual tree illumination at 6 p.m.
- Looking ahead, Garden Grove and Westminster are also planning on tree-lighting events in early December. The Westminster event is planned for Monday, Dec. 4 at 6:30 p.m. in the Civic Center, 8200 Westminster Blvd. In Garden Grove, it’s set for Tuesday. Dec. 5 in the Village Green Park (Main and Euclid streets) at 6:30 p.m.
- Miss Westminster Scholarship Pageant will be held Sunday at the Rose Center Theater, 14140 All American Way at 7 p.m. For more information, go to: www.MissWestminster.org .
Categories: Arts & Leisure