What? You haven’t started your Christmas shopping yet? Well, at least you’ve ordered the Thanksgiving turkey, right? No? Well, at least you can organize your week a little by checking out this Monday Briefing for some of the events and entertainments happening in and around the communities of Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Stanton and Westminster this week.
WEATHER: Nice all week, with sunny skies through Thursday, turning to “mostly sunny” Friday and Saturday. Highs in the upper 70s and low 80s, warming up toward the weekend.
MEETINGS: A lot of government conclaves on the calendar. Here are some of them…
- Huntington Beach City Council, Monday, 6 p.m.
- Garden Grove Unified School District Board of Education, Tuesday, 7 p.m.
- Westminster City Council, Wednesday, 7 p.m.
EVENTS: From a civic standpoint, the biggest is Tuesday’s special election in Stanton. Voters will decide on an increase on hotel and motel “bed tax” as well as the power to set regulations and taxes on cannabis-related businesses in the city.
ENTERTAINMENT: In live theater, “Best Little Whorehouse in Texas” opens at the Mainstage Theater at Golden West College in Huntington Beach. Shows will run Nov. 8-17.
At the Rose Center Theater in Westminster, a musical version of “Alice in Wonderland” will open Friday with shows Friday, Saturday and Sunday through Nov. 17.
“A Nice Family Gathering” opens Friday at the Westminster Community Playhouse and continues Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays through Nov. 24.
On the movie front, films opening this weekend in local cinemas will include:
- “Doctor Sleep,” another Stephen King tale that is a kind of sequel to “The Shining.” Rated R.
- “Playing With Fire.” Firefighters rescue children, and then end up babysitting for them. John Cena stars. Rated PG.
- “Last Christmas.” Holiday romance with Emilia Clarke, Henry Golding, Emma Thompson. Rated PG-13.
- “Midway.” Another movie about the turning point of the Pacific War against Japan in 1942. Cast includes Woody Harrelson, Aaron Eckhart, Luke Evans. Rated PG-13.
SPORTS: The Anaheim Ducks will host the Minnesota Wild on Tuesday at Honda Center and the Edmonton Oilers next Sunday.
- If you’re looking for something a little more local, CIF-SS high school fall sports playoffs are underway. Eleven local teams are involved in the football playoffs starting on Friday. Water polo playoffs start on Tuesday and in the girls’ volleyball finals, Garden Grove High will play Desert Christian on Saturday at 6 p.m. for the Division 7 title in the Argonaut gym.
Categories: Across the Area
If you like Christmassy stuff, then you just might love Glow Edmonton 😉 https://www.glowgardens.com/edmonton-christmas/3