The “second season” of local high school football begins this week with some key games and some not so decisive contests as league play kicks off.
It looks like the most interesting matchup will be in the Empire League, with unbeaten Pacifica (5-0) hosting a pretty good Tustin (3-2) team on Friday night.
On paper, the Garden Grove League contest between Rancho Alamitos (4-1) and Bolsa Grande (3-2) looks interesting, but it should be noted that the Vaqueros have played generally tougher opponents.
Blowout of the week will likely come on Friday when Garden Grove (3-2) travels to face winless Godinez (0-6) at Santa Ana Valley on Friday. The Argos’ two losses have come at the hands of top-ranked teams and Godinez, well, is a new program.
Here’s the complete schedule for local teams. Ocean View (1-5) is idle.
Garden Grove League
- Los Amigos (2-3) at Loara (2-3) at Glover Stadium, 6:30 p.m.
- Rancho Alamitos (4-1) at Bolsa Grande (3-2), 6:30 p.m.
- La Quinta (1-4) at Santiago (4-1) at Monsoor Stadium, 6:30 p.m.
- Anaheim (2-3) at Magnolia (2-3)
- Western (2-2) at Savanna (1-4) at Glover Stadium
- Newport Harbor (1-4) at Edison (4-2) at Sheue Field
- Tustin (3-2) at Pacifica (5-0) at Bolsa Stadium
Orange Coast League
- Orange (2-3) at Costa Mesa (2-3)
- Fountain Valley (1-4) at Huntington Beach (3-2)
- Garden Grove (3-2) at Godinez (0-6) at Santa Ana Valley
- Westminster (5-0) at Katella (3-3).
- Salesian (3-2) at Marina (1-5) at Boswell Field.
All games are at 7 p.m. unless noted. As always, times, dates, opponents, etc. are subject to change without notice, so check with the school.
Chargers are still number 1 the OC Tribune’s High 5
Once again, Edison High’s football team (4-2) is at the top of our High Five for the week. Moving into second place is undefeated Pacifica (5-0), followed by Huntington Beach (3-2) in third and Orange (2-3) in fourth after last week’s loss to Foothill. Garden Grove (3-2) returns to the Five after a 50-0 win over Los Amigos.
Unranked but receiving votes are Rancho Alamitos, Westminster and Santiago.
Some stars of the local gridirons
From Week Five, some of the top performances by local football players.
- Darius Cowens of Pacifica had five touchdowns (three passing and two rushing) in the Mariners’ 42-39 win over Brea Olinda.
- Malachi Bey of Garden Grove rushed for 104 yards and three touchdowns in the Argonauts’ 50-0 win over Los Amigos.
- Vany Rodriguez of Garden Grove passed for 218 yards and three touchdowns in Garden Grove’s win.
- Roman Harris of Westminster passed for 120 yards and a touchdown and added 31 more yards rushing in the Lions’ 14-0 win over Magnolia.
- Samer Alqam of Bolsa Grande passed for 166 yards and one touchdown in the Matadors’ 13-7 win over Godinez.
More to life than football
Here are the weekly polls from the CIF-SS for boys’ water polo, girls’ volleyball and girls’ tennis.
- Boys’ water polo: Huntington Beach is tied for first (with Newport Harbor and Mater Dei) in Division 1; Edison is third in Division 2; Marina is fourth in Division 4; Los Amigos is unranked but received some votes in Division 5; Westminster is second, La Quinta is eighth and Ocean View 10th in Division 6.
- Girls’ volleyball: Huntington Beach is unranked but received some votes in Divisions 1 and 2; Bolsa Grande is sixth and Garden Grove is unranked but received some votes in Division 6; Rancho Alamitos is unranked but received some votes in Division 8.
- Girls’ tennis: Huntington Beach is unranked but received some votes in Division 1; Garden Grove is sixth in Division 4; Loara is seventh and Ocean View is unranked but received some votes in Division 5.
“Prep Sport Spotlight” is posted on Tuesdays during the high school athletic year. Send scores, results, etc. to us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Categories: High school sports