Now is the time for all football fans to tingle from head to toe. The pros, the colleges and high schools are all in full swing finally. Here’s a look at games of interest to grid fans in the Garden Grove-Huntington Beach-Westminster area.
Pros: This time, it’s all for real
After four weeks of mostly symbolic contests, the real NFL season starts this week. The Rams, the Chargers and your fantasy football team are charging into action.
- The L.A. Rams will host the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday at the Coliseum. The key factor in this game is the absence due to injury of Colt starting QB Andrew Luck. His backup will face a pretty good Rams secondary. Our guess: Rams in a low-scoring game.
- The L.A. Chargers will be a Monday night game, facing the Denver Broncos at Sports Authority Field. As an AFC West game, this opener holds a special importance. Philip Rivers has the experience edge at QB. Our guess: Chargers open with a win.
Colleges: Trojans in a tough conference clash
- USC has to jump right in this Saturday and begin its Pac-12 campaign against a 10th-ranked Stanford (1-0) team at the Coliseum. The Trojans (1-0) had to really battle to get past the Western Michigan Broncos while the Cardinal (1-0) crushed Rice 62-7. Our guess: Stanford has to be the favorite based on last week’s games.
- UCLA cut it so close last week with a last-second 45-44 win over Texas A&M, the Bruins deserve a bit of a breather. This Saturday they should get one at the Rose Bowl against the Rainbow Warriors (2-0) of Hawaii who won a pair of games against unimpressive opponents. Our guess: UCLA.
- Chapman University’s football team will kick off its 2017 campaign onSaturday at home against Linfield College of Oregon in a game which is the Wildcats opener as well. Our guess: Pick ‘em.
- Golden West College is on the road on Saturday for a day game (1 p.m.) at Riverside City College. Both teams are 1-0, with RCC crushing Victor Valley 52-9 last week and GWC beating Glendale 17-10. Our guess: The Rustlers won last week but suffered a bunch of injuries; this one tilts to Riverside.
High schools: A new era at a new stadium at GGHS
The biggest games of the week for the GG-HB-W area include the debut of a brand new stadium, a clash between two CIF-ranked teams and a clash of undefeateds.
- Garden Grove (1-1) will host Woodbridge (0-2) Friday for the first game ever at the new on-campus Michael Monsoor Stadium, honoring the Medal of Honor winner. With a big crowd and lots of emotion, all the intangibles will be on the side of the Argonauts. Our guess: Grove wins it.
- Westminster (1-0) and Marina (2-0) clash Friday in the Battle at Boswell (the stadium at WHS that is the home field for both schools). The Lions are rated seventh in Division 11 and the Vikings third in D-12. Our guess: The Vikes have been a bit more consistent so far, so they have the edge.
- Santiago (1-0) at Orange (1-0) go at it on Thursday at Fred Kelly Stadium on the El Modena High campus. The Panthers are ranked first in Division 1 after crushing Anaheim 54-7 in the opener last week. The Cavaliers slammed Costa Mesa 28-7. Two programs on the rise collide. Our guess: Orange in a close one.
ALSO THIS WEEK … Thursday: Savanna (1-1) at Bolsa Grande (1-1) … Friday: Huntington Beach (0-2) at Tesoro (0-2), Ocean View (1-0) at Rancho Alamitos (1-0) at Bolsa Grande Stadium, Marina (2-0) vs. Westminster (1-0) at Boswell Field, Edison (1-1) at Canyon (1-1), La Quinta (1-0) at Webb Schools (2-0) … Saturday: Dana Hills (0-2) at Pacifica (2-0) at Bolsa Grande Stadium.
Leave a Reply