A lot of great matchups for football fans this week. The reps close out pre-league play and the pros and college teams face crucial challenges as well. Here’s a look at the lineup of contests of special interest to the Garden Grove-Huntington Beach-Westminster area.
Pros: Rams seek status; Chargers seek a victory
- If you’ve got a really good memory, you might recall when the Los Angeles Rams (2-1) and the Dallas Cowboys (2-1) were rivals and among the top contenders in the NFC. This Sunday they will meet in Dallas in a game that could validate the L.A. team as a true contender. Is Jared Goff ready for prime time? We’ll see.
- The Los Angeles Chargers (0-3) really need this one against the Philadelphia Eagles (2-1) at StubHub Center on Sunday. After losing three straight, the newcomers to the L.A. market have to post a win or be out of the sports conversation. It’s Carson Wentz vs. Philip Rivers.
Colleges: Bruins need a win; Trojans face a test
USC: The Trojans (4-0) face a resurgent Washington State team Friday up in the northwest. The Cougars are 4-0 and ranked 16th in the AP poll. Luke Falk vs. Sam Darnold will be a good QB duel.
UCLA: After an embarrassing loss last week to Stanford, the Bruins (2-2) need a win Saturday against Colorado (3-1) to keep the season and Rose Bowl hopes from going off the rails. The big question: Can UCLA find a defense?
Chapman University: The Panthers (0-2) are looking for their first win of 2017 on Saturday when they visit Pomona-Pitzer (1-1) in a SCIAC opener.
Golden West College: The Rustlers (2-2) will host Long Beach City College Saturday at 1 p.m. The Vikes are 2-2.
High schools: Edison, LQ, OV in tough contests
Some big games this week for prep football teams serving the Garden Grove-Huntington Beach-Westminster area. Here are the top three most intriguing contests.
- Edison (3-1) at San Clemente (5-0): Both teams have faced rigorous schedules and have a recent history of doing well in the CIF-SS playoffs. The Tritons are rated sixth in the county and the Chargers ninth. Edison’s talented QB Griffin O’Connor has missed some playing time due to sickness and its top running back Jack Carmichael is out for the season with an injury. Game is Friday at SCHA. Our guess: Playing on the road with a depleted lineup may be too much for EHS.
- Century (4-0) at La Quinta (4-0): The Aztecs are for real. After years in the lower division of the Garden Grove League, the blue-and-gold now looks like the team to beat in the GGL. QB Michael Nadeau is putting up good numbers and is hard to pull down. Game is Friday at Bolsa Grande Stadium. Our guess: La Quinta rolls on.
- Ocean View (3-1) at University (4-0): This is an excellent warm-up game for the Seahawks, who will soon be playing a tough schedule in the resurgent Golden West League with strong teams at Orange, Segerstrom and Westminster. Game is Thursday at Uni. Our guess: OV by a touchdown.
ALSO THIS WEEK
- Thursday: Adelanto at Rancho Alamitos at Bolsa Grande Stadium.
- Friday: Laguna Hills at Garden Grove; Los Amigos at Saddleback at Segerstrom High; Marina at Whittier Christian at Whittier College; Santiago at Savanna at Glover Stadium; Godinez at Orange at Fred Kelly Stadium.
- Saturday: Westminster at Beckman at Tustin High.