CIF-SS football playoffs start in earnest on Friday with eight local teams in action.
Unless otherwise noted, all these games are at 7 p.m. Here’s the list for teams of interest to the communities of Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Stanton and Westminster.
- Division 2: Edison (5-5) at San Juan Hills (7-3).
- Division 6: Huntington Beach (6-4) at St. Margaret’s Episcopal (9-1).
- Division 7: Pacifica (5-5) at Millikan/Long Beach (7-2).
- Division 9: West Torrance (6-4) at Garden Grove (9-1); Orange (8-2) at North Torrance (8-2), 7:30 p.m.
- Division 11: Ocean View (9-1) at Irvine (4-6); Patriot (6-4) at Western (8-2).
- Division 12: Northwood (7-3) at Rancho Alamitos (7-3) at Bolsa Grande Stadium.
At least there’s a point.
The Anaheim Ducks extended their seven-game winless streak Thursday with a 3-2 shootout loss to the New York Rangers at Honda Center. The loss nevertheless gave the home team a point in the standings, and Anaheim is now fifth in the NHL Pacific at 5-6-3 (13 points).
Anaheim got goals in regular time by Jakob Silfverberg and Rickard Rakell. John Gibson had 22 saves in regular and overtime, but was beaten twice in the shootout.
The Ducks will host the Columbus Blue Jackets (7-5) on Saturday at Honda Center at 7:30 p.m.
Vaqs and Lobos still swimming
Two local teams are still playing in CIF-SS boys’ water polo action.
In Division 7, Westminster lost its first round game on Wednesday 11-7 to Cabrillo High of Long Beach, but Rancho Alamitos bested Saddleback 13-8 and will visit Paramount on Saturday in the quarterfinals.
Los Amigos defeated Downey 13-7 on Thursday and will host Culver City on Saturday in a quarterfinal game in Division 6.
In Division 3, Edison was knocked out 12-7 Thursday in a second round contest against Peninsula after defeating Tesoro 10-9 in the first round.
In Division 4, Pacifica was defeated 15-7 by Schurr in second round play on Thursday, after beating Don Lugo 9-8 earlier.
In Division 5, Ocean View lost its playoff opener on Tuesday in falling 8-3 to Glendale.
In Division 6, Western fell 12-10 to Hillcrest on Thursday. The Pioneers had opened the playoffs with a 0-6 win over Lakeside.
Leave a Reply