We missed the snow that hit higher elevations last week, but at least we’ll get some precipitation – in the form of rain – going forward. Holiday shopping is in full swing and the pro and college football campaigns are getting down to the nitty-gritty, as we used to say. Here’s a look at the next seven days for Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Stanton and Westminster.
- Cool weather in the low to mid-60s Monday and Tuesday.
- Rain on Wednesday, then cloudy conditions Thursday and Friday.
- Rain returns on Saturday, turning to clouds on Sunday.
HOLIDAY EVENTS: A lot of them. Here’s our list:
- Westminster Christmas Tree-Lighting on Monday at 6:30 p.m. in the Civic Center (8200 Westminster Blvd).
- “Jingle Jam” from 5-8 p.m. at Eastgate Park in West Garden Grove (Chapman Avenue west of Valley View Street) on Thursday.
- Stanton’s tree-lighting ceremony, 6-8 p.m. on Thursday at the Civic Center, 7800 Katella Ave.
- “Winter in the Grove” from 3-7 p.m. at Village Green Park in Garden Grove (Main and Euclid streets) on Saturday.
- Breakfast With Santa Claus from 9-10:30 a.m. in Westminster’s Community Services Bldg. (8200 Westminster Blvd.) on Saturday.
MEETINGS: Huntington Beach City Council will meet at 7 p.m. on Monday (Main Street at Yorktown Avenue) and the Garden Grove Planning Commission (11300 Stanford Ave.) will meet at p.m. 7 on Thursday.
ENTERTAINMENT: Lots of amusement, and not all of it tinsel-y.
- On local live stages, “Disney’s Beauty & the Beast” and “Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Cinderella” continue at the Gem Theater in Garden Grove and Rose Center Theater in Westminster.
- A big list of movies opening this week in local cinemas. They will include “The Aeronauts” (19th century balloon adventure), “Playmobil” (animated film based on another kids’ toy) and “Portrait of a Lady on Fire” (secret lesbian love among the upper classes in pre-revolutionary France).
SPORTS: The Anaheim Ducks have two home games this week, hosting the Los Angeles Kings on Monday and the Washington Capitals on Friday.
Marina High School’s football team, fresh from winning the CIF-SS Division 11 football title, will be back in action this Saturday, facing La Jolla in a Division 4-A CIF regional contest at 6 p.m. at the Vikings’ home stadium, Boswell Field on the Westminster High campus.
Categories: Across the Area