News of the coronavirus crisis, locally and otherwise. This will be updated throughout the day, so check back often.
- All counter business at Garden Grove City Hall will be conducted only by phone, online, or by mail. No in-person transactions will be allowed.
- Target stores will provide a special shopping hour on Wednesdays from 8-9 a.m. for seniors (65 and older) and others at a high-risk for infection. All stores will close by 9 p.m.
- Stater Bros. stores now have modified hours, from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- The Stanton City Council meeting scheduled for Tuesday, March 24 will go on as planned, but there may not be much to see if you attend. In an alert sent with the agenda – which includes ratification of a proclamation declaring a local emergency in Stanton – is a note that some or all members of the council may be “attend” the meeting by telephone.
- The number of reported coronavirus cases in Orange County rose from 42 yesterday to 53 today (Thursday), according to the Orange County Health Care Agency.
- Gov. Gavin Newsom on Thursday evening signed a “stay-at-home” order for all Californians. Exceptions are to procure food and medicine, and get medical treatment.
National & International
- Italy has now surpassed China as the nation with the most deaths from coronavirus, with 3,405, about 150 more than China, where the virus originated. The Chinese government also announced that there were no new reports of infection in that nation on Wednesday.
- Claims for unemployment benefits in the U.S. rose to 281,000 between March 8 and 14, up 70,000 from the applications filed March 1-7.
Categories: Across the Area