The boys’ high school basketball season for 2021-2021 is wrapping up its tournaments and league play is about to start.
Some of the top teams in Orange County hail from The Tribune’s coverage area of Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Stanton and Westminster.
With league play starting for most teams on Tuesday, Jan. 4 and Wednesday, Jan. 5 and others on Wednesday, Jan. 12, some have built impressive records in their pre-league performances.
Based on won-lost marks, the elite among local boys teams would appear to include Orangewood Academy (11-2), Pacifica (12-2), Edison (13-3) and Marina (11-4).
Here’s a league-by-league look at standings and conference openers involving Tribune coverage area teams.
- Academy League: Orangewood’s Spartans start league play hosting Southlands Christian Academy on Jan. 4.
- Empire League: Pacifica will open play on Jan. 4 at Valencia. The EL is again a tough slog, as it also includes Crean Lutheran (9-0) and Tustin 12-4).
- Garden Grove League: The GGL looks balanced again with three teams – La Quinta (9-7), Bolsa Grande (7-6) and Santiago (8-8) in position to contend. Following are Loara (6-10), Los Amigos (2-8) and Rancho Alamitos (6-11). League action starts Jan. 5 with La Quinta at Santiago, Rancho at Bolsa Grande and Los Amigos at Loara.
- Golden West League: As has been the cases the last two seasons, Garden Grove (7-6) and Ocean View (8-6) are expected to the favorites for the GGL title. Westminster is 3-0 so far. On Jan. 4, the Argonauts open GWL action hosting Katella, while Ocean View is at Segerstrom and the Lions host Godinez.
- Orange League: Western (4-8) hosts Savanna on Jan. 4 and Magnolia (0-14) hosts Santa Ana Valley.
- Orange Coast League: The Orange Panthers (6-10) visit Estancia on Jan. 15.
- Surf League: Edison starts league play vs. Laguna Beach on Jan. 12.
- Wave League: Marina opens on Jan. 12 against Fountain Valley, while Huntington Beach (4-11) takes on Corona Del Mar (14-1).
A look at the girls’ basketball scene will follow soon.
Categories: High school sports