The result of last year’s releaguing for football will be on exhibit this week as the brand new Big 4 and Pac 4 leagues make their debut.
The Big 4 consists of Segerstrom, Garden Grove, Marina and Westminster. The Pac 4 is Ocean View, Laguna Beach, Western and Godinez. Although we here at the Tribune mourn GGHS being “escorted” out of the GGL, we understand why. The Argonauts have dominated that league in football since the second Bush administration.
Marina is getting a better, if mixed deal. The Vikings were out of their element in the Sunset League for football, but were competitive in other sports. So MHS is in the Big 4 for football, but in the Sunset for other sports.
• Speaking of the Sunset League, it looks very much like the Big Game in that conference will be Friday as Corona del Mar (Marina’s replacement in the Sunset) will face Los Alamitos at Cerritos College. Each is 6-1 overall and 2-0 in league.•
• A good local matchup in the Orange Coast League on Friday will see Orange take on Estancia. Both are 2-0 in the OCL. Another will be Laguna Beach at Western. Each is 6-1 overall.
• One more point of interest is the high scores in some recent games. Last week Orange thrashed Costa Mesa 81-0 and Western scored 72 points against Artesia. All in all, nine local games saw the winner scoring 40 or more points.
Here’s the lineup of area high school football games this week. As always, locations, times, etc. are subject to change without notice, so call ahead. All games at 7 p.m.
- Newport Harbor (3-3-1 overall, 0-2 in Sunset League) at Edison (3-4, 1-1) at Sheue Field.
- Pacifica (4-3, 2-0 in Empire League) at Tustin (2-5, 1-1).
- Katella (7-0, 2-0 in Orange League) vs. Magnolia (2-5, 0-2) at Handel Stadium.
- Santiago (4-4, 1-1 in Garden Grove League) vs. La Quinta (4-4, 1-1) at Monsoor Stadium.
- Westminster (0-7) at Garden Grove (6-1) in Big 4.
- Fountain Valley (4-3, 0-2) at Huntington Beach (5-2, 1-1).
- Orange (6-1, 2-0) at Estancia (5-2, 2-0) in Orange Coast League.
- Rancho Alamitos (3-3, 1-0) at Bolsa Grande (1-6, 0-2) in Garden Grove League.
- Loara (5-2, 2-0) at Los Amigos (0-1, 3-4) in GGL at Monsoor Stadium.
- Marina (2-5) at Segerstrom (6-1) in Big 4.
- Laguna Beach (6-1) at Western (6-1) in Pac 4.
- Godinez (2-5) at Ocean View (7-0) in Pac 4.
Polls vault a dozen this week
Twelve local high school teams got some recognition from polls conducted this week by the CIF-SS. Here are results for teams serving the communities of Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Stanton and Westminster.
- Division 6: Huntington Beach is 10th.
- Division 9: Orange is third, Garden Grove is seventh.
- Division 11: Western is first, Ocean View is second.
Boys’ water polo
- Divisions 1 and 2: Huntington Beach is ninth.
- Division 6: Los Amigos is seventh.
- Division 7: Rancho Alamitos is fourth.
- Division 3: Garden Grove is fifth.
- Division 4: Bolsa Grande is among others receiving votes.
- Division 5: Westminster is among others receiving votes.
- Division 7: Ocean View is fourth.
Chargers still first in High 5
Speaking of polls, the Tribune’s High 5 of area prep football teams sees Edison still on top after a 20-14 win over Huntington Beach, which remains in second after a close loss to the Chargers.
If you’re wondering why EHS, with four losses overall, is ahead of a team like Ocean View (7-0), the difference is that while the Seahawks have an outstanding team, their level of competition in Division 11 in the Pac 4 is not quite the same as that of the Sunset League (Division 2).
The rest of the High 5 are Western, Garden Grove and Orange (all 6-1) with Ocean View and Pacifica just outside the tent.
Local heroes of the gridiron
Some of the outstanding performances from football players in the Tribune coverage area.
- Anthony Munoz (Western) passed for 366 yards and six touchdowns against Artesia.
- Caine Savage (Western) caught six passes for three TDs and 172 yards vs. Artesia.
- Kobe Lopez (Edison) rushed for 178 yards against Huntington Beach.
- Daylen Pedroza (Orange) passed for 342 yards and four touchdowns vs. Costa Mesa.
Prep Sport Spotlight is posted Tuesdays during the high school athletic year.
Categories: High school sports