The first full week of high school football action is upon us, with eight local teams in action for their initial contest of the 2019 season.
Here’s the schedule for teams serving the communities of Garden Grove, Huntington Beach, Stanton and Westminster. Games are at 7 p.m.
- Ocean View at Santiago at Monsoor Stadium (GGHS)
- Bosco Tech at Bolsa Grande
- Green Valley/Nevada at Huntington Beach
- Loara at Mesa/Murrieta
- Dana Hills at Los Amigos at Monsoor Stadium
- Godinez at Magnolia at Glover Stadium
- Western at Muir/Pasadena.
As always, matchups, times, locations, etc. are subject to change without notice, so check with the school before making plans to attend.
An early look at the local ladder
The Orange County Tribune won’t be starting its High 5 ranking of the top high school football teams in our coverage area until next week, but there are other sources of opinion on the topic.
Maxpreps.com attempts to rate teams based on its own formula of strength of opponents, previous records, etc. That’s tough to do before the season starts, but here’s what they came up with based on their point system.
- Edison (102th in the state)
- Western (127)
- Huntington Beach (274)
- Orange (285)
- Garden Grove (291).
The Three Aqua Amigos
This week the CIF-SS released its preseason watch list for boys’ water polo. Three local teams made the lineup.
In the grouping for Divisions 1 and 2, Huntington Beach was listed. In Division 5, Marina and Ocean View made the list.
Dividing the D1 and 2 teams will be finalized on Nov. 1.
Oilers, Argos, Pioneers, Lions, Vaqs ranked
The pre-season CIF-SS football poll is out and six local schools are on the lists. They are:
- Division 7: Huntington Beach is sixth
- Division 8: Garden Grove is fifth
- Division 10: Western is second, Orange is sixth. (Westminster received some votes).
- Division 13: Rancho Alamitos is 10th.
Prep Sport Spotlight is posted on Tuesday’s during the high school athletic season. Coaches, players, parents, etc. are encouraged to sent The Tribune results, schedules, rosters, story ideas at email@example.com.
Categories: High school sports